Who is eligible for Tier 1 Skilled Migration?
All skilled workers, both in the UK and abroad, are able to apply for Tier 1 (General) Skilled Migration. However, a number of basic requirements and conditions apply to determine eligibility.
Workers who are already in the UK and want to extend their stay can now apply for the Tier 1 (General) category. This is the UK's current highly skilled worker immigration system, and it replaces the former HSMP system.
- People currently in the UK on Student/Graduate visas, Tier 1 (Post-Study) work visas and Work Permits who want to extend their stay in the UK under the Tier 1 system;
- People currently in the UK on an HSMP visa who want to extend their stay in the UK under the Tier 1 system; AND
- People already in the UK through the Tier 1 system who want to extend their stay on the same visa.
Skilled workers who are outside of the UK: Skilled workers who are currently abroad but are hoping to migrate to the UK are also eligible for Tier 1 (General) Skilled Migration.
Tier 1 (General) Basic Requirements
Tier 1 applicants must score 95 points in the Tier 1 points test.
However, there are mandatory requirement which must be met as part of the points.
Tier 1 (General) visa holders can stay in the UK to work as an employee or a self-employed person. There is no need for an employer or family to sponsor Tier 1 visa holders. A Tier 1 visa allows successful applicants to live in the UK without work restrictions.
Successful Tier 1 (General) applicants are given 2 years to live and work in the UK. After this, applicants can then apply for a further 3-year extension.
After 5 years, Tier 1 (General) migrants are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
The UK Visa Bureau recommends speaking to a migration consultant to help you prepare for your application.
Points are awarded to a Tier 1 (General) Skilled applicant based on:
- Past earnings (at least the equivalent of UK £25,000 from the 12 months the applicant is claiming);
Note: Applicants who earn at least the equivalent of UK £150,000 from the 12 months they are claiming will automatically receive 75 points towards their application and automatically qualify provided they receive the mandatory points for English language ability and funds available.
- UK work experience;
- UK qualifications;
- English language ability; AND
- Funds available to maintain yourself while in the UK.
You can learn more on www.uk.gov