Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
Wednesday, April 1, 2015
You can move around and with these vast mix of complete strangers while feeling safe from harm or molestation.
After two and a half hours of waiting, running late for my flight and reporting to the airport police and calling the rta (dubai road transport authority), I had fears I might not find my bag again.
1. As much as possible, use the certified or authorized and registered state taxi. I did.
2. Take a second to take a glance or stare or snap the taxi number or plate number before getting in. (note: Taxi number and car plate number are different) The rta asked if I knew any of these numbers, it would have been easy to track him. All I know is its a Toyota Camry.
3. Try and engage the taxi driver in a talk, a simple greeting is fine. I'm not asking you to go all chatting-chatting. This gives you an opportunity to see his face and make an impression of it on your mind. My taxi driver was quiet, clean shave, in his 30's, not Arab, not Caucasian, not black. I don't want to mention where I think he's from before you people accuse me of racial profiling.
4. An airport security asked me "did you collect a printed fare receipt from the taxi?" this would have had the taxi details. I didn't even know they issue receipts. Most of these drivers don't issue it.
6. This is probably not exclusive and you guys might disagree, but I think the more Elderly Taxi drivers have more conscience.
7. In this case, speaking exclusively for Dubai Airport, Terminal 3: ask to be dropped off at the entrance of the Terminal. This area is covered by the airport security street camera. The police could not locate the driver on security cameras because he dropped me off on the No Parking, temporary road stop outside the security camera coverage. (most of them do)
What do you call a taxi driver like that?
After much tension to the build up of the Presidential elections in Nigeria on March 28th, the main opposition party the All Progressive Congress APC won the ruling party the People's Democratic Party PDP. The new president elect is former Military Leader, General Muhammadu Buhari.
The following are some of the major highlights to remember from the election.
General Buhari won after three failed attempts. He had participated and lost in the last three successive elections.
This is the first time the incumbent party will lose to the opposition.
An election that had massive social media participation.
The Peter Orubebe drama at the collation center. He attempted to disrupt the election announcement and collation center.
The maturity and cool of the INEC president, Prof. Atahiru Jega is conducting the process.
The novel introduction of the permanent voters card and card reading machines.
The doggedness of Nigerian electorates to exercise their civic responsibility and casting their votes despite all hitches and glitches.
President Jonathan's exemplary and exceptional gesture in conceding defeat early on by congratulating General Buhari. This goes a long way in dousing any post election violence that may have been brewing.
In Nigeria, the air of change is evident.
Do you have any other highlights from the election. Please share... Post pictures on our Facebook page too.
Congratulations Nigeria to a peaceful conduct of election.